Isn’t cabbage so under rated? I really don’t think the average family cooks cabbage as often as we should. St. Patrick’s Day is usually a great reminder that this vegetable still does exist. So we need to find tasty and delicious ways to bring this vegetable to our kitchen table more often. So let’s bring it on.
The sweet onions and the nutty, delicate anise flavor of the caraway seeds roasting with the cabbage is really what makes you wanting more. Not many ingredients and easy peasy!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. You will need a medium size green head of cabbage, medium sweet onion, caraway seeds, extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and ground black pepper.
Brush the entire large rimmed baking pan with 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Coarsely slice up a medium onion. If you make the slices too thin it will burn and wither away to nothing. I prefer a sweet onion such as Vidalia or you can use a yellow onion.
Spread the sliced onions onto your rimmed baking pan. Another variation to this recipe is to add sliced green peppers with the onions.
Cut up a medium cabbage into 1-inch thick rounds.
Layer the sliced cabbage right on top of the sliced onions. Some can be cut in half to fit on baking sheet. Brush the tops of cabbage with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
Sprinkle 1 tsp caraway seeds, some kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste. I didn’t put black pepper on mine since I know my kids wouldn’t like it with pepper.
Roast in oven 40 – 45 minutes until tender. I usually put the pan towards the lower portion of the oven since my heating element is above it. If your heating element is at the bottom then place your pan in the upper racks. Check the last ten minutes of cooking so it does not burn. Most likely there will be a some outer pieces that will be burn.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
Roasted Cabbage Wedges
1 Tbsp plus 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Medium Head of Green Cabbage, Cut Into 1-Inch Thick Rounds
1 Medium Sweet Onion Coarsely Sliced (Not too thin)
1 tsp Caraway Seeds
Kosher Salt and Ground Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush the entire rimmed baking pan with 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Coarsely slice the onion and spread it out on the baking pan.
- Slice the green cabbage into 1-inch thick rounds. Place the cabbage right on the onions is a single layer.
- Brush the tops of the sliced cabbage with approximately 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds on the cabbage. Season with kosher salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Roast in oven for 40 to 45 minutes until tender and edges are golden, checking the last 10 minutes of cooking. If edges of the cabbage are starting to burn and the cabbage is not tender yet you can cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook it longer. This will hold in the steam.